Sunday, July 12, 2009

Blessed Assurance

Music-wise I'm more of a praise and worship/contemporary/rock kind of guy but I do love the words to some old standards. Fanny Crosby's "Blessed Assurance" is a song that touches my heart. As I was sitting here on the computer I just got through listening to a version on a Vineyard CD. Good stuff.

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
O what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
I'm born of his Spirit, washed in his blood.

Refrain:
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long;
This is my story, this is my song,
It's praising my Savior all the day long.

Perfect submission, perfect delight,
Visions of rapture now burst on my sight;
Angels descending bring from above
Echoes of mercy, whispers of love.
(Refrain)

Perfect submission, all is at rest;
I in my Savior am happy and blest,
Watching and waiting, looking above,
I'm filled with God's goodness, I'm lost in His love.
(Refrain)

Fanny Crosby was blinded as an infant after developing a cold and subsequent eye infection and then receiving poor treatment. She never let her blindness get in her way. She was a prolific songwriter, wrote poetry and was a preacher and speaker.

Her writing often reminds me of the goal of this life in Christ. "I'm filled with God's goodness, I'm lost in His love." Lost in His love. What a concept.I enjoy the study of theology and the Word of God but it can be sometimes a problem where we think that's what God wants of us when what He really wants is our hearts and lives. Studying theology and the Word is awesome but not the end. The outworking of the process is to know God. To walk with Him. To live in Him and live a life for His glory.

If we were truly lost in His love we would sure look a lot different.

I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the [life] which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. (Galatians 2:20)

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I think your blog is a blessing. It encourages me. I'd like to see you post more. I love that song too. It is really encouraging.

FrankDG said...

Hi Rachel
Thanks for the kind comments. I have a lot of ideas brewing about this blog and am looking to be more consistent posting.

Frank

John Pelham said...

That is one of my favorite songs too. just found your blog and am enjoying it.