Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Humble Before God

"The humble He guides in justice, And the humble He teaches His way." (Psalm 25:9)

As we humble ourselves before God we allow the process of transformation to work in our lives. As fallen human beings we are prone to be self-centered and prideful. We want our own way. We want to do our own thing. James 4:6 tells us that "God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble."

God calls us to submit our lives to Him. It's easy to say but sometimes hard to do. Of course, most of us (Christians anyway) say we do. We don't find out of if we really do until we are tested. Change and growth is a process. We all have areas we need some help in.

I have a son who works in a Christian Bookstore and he has related a lot of disturbing stories about Christians who behaved badly. Almost every story he has shared relates to people not getting their way. People wanting to use expired coupons or wanting discounts but then getting angry when they couldn't get them. He even had someone tell him he wasn't very Christian when he wouldn't take back a CD. This person had opened it up and wanted to return it. It's against state law to allow returns on opened music because of potential copyright violations.

I always wonder -- do they read the Bible? Have they been taught at all? That old self- centered behavior exhibits our ugly side for sure! The only solution for it is to humbles ourselves and submit our ways to God in everything we do. Then you begin to understand that you live for Him and not for yourself.

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the [life] which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." (Galatians 5:20)

4 comments:

John Pelham said...

Man I hate teachings on humility. :-)
Just kidding.Selfishness is and ever present danger isn't it. When you think you have it pretty much beaten it will rear its ugly head.

Rachel said...

John -- you made the same comment twice. I saw it while catching up my reading.

When things are easy doesn't count.Humility is only really shown when it is difficult to do. When everything within you says I want my own way.

Sam said...

Hi Frank...this post caught my eye! Thank you for sharing. I think it does say a lot about what I am trying to achieve in my life. And, I found a verse that I think can be added to what you are saying....
Sam

"Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show by good conduct that his works are done in the meekness of wisdom." - James 3:13

John Pelham said...

Hi Rachel
I accidently posted my comments on the wrong one. so had to put them here too. :-(