Monday, November 17, 2008

Producing Fruit


But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
Galatians 5:22-23

Fruit occurs when the conditions are right. Have you ever seen an apple tree straining to produce fruit? When a healthy tree gets enough sun and water and when the soil conditions are good the tree will produce apples.

In our own walk with the Lord there are times when we just have to do the right thing. Paul admonishes us in to put on Christ (Romans 13:14), to put on the new man (Ephesians 4:34), and to put on a host of attitudes ranging from mercy to love (Colossians 3:12-14). The exhortation in all these passages is about doing what the Lord would have us do regardless of how we feel.

But the fruit of the Spirit is different. The fruit of the Spirit is not produced by a specific decision to do a specific thing. The fruit of the Spirit is produced out of relationship. Out of who we are and who we are becoming in our walk with the Lord. When the conditions in our relationship are right fruit will be produced.

I've always found the fruit of the Spirit to be a good check on my heart. Am I walkng in peace? Do I have joy? Am I patient? When there's a break there I ask myself where am I missing it. You see, I've never found God to be the one who moves or changes.

It's always me.

No comments: